Star Autocare Terms and Conditions
MOTOR VEHICLE REPAIR
- Star Autocare Ltd (hereafter called ‘SAL’) accept vehicles for repair, MOT examination, estimating the cost of repairs, garaging or for any other specified purpose. These terms and conditions govern the entire contract between SAL and the customer. All other rights are excluded to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- Prices that appear on this website are all inclusive of parts, labour and VAT
- This website is an invitation to treat, and nothing on this website shall be construed as a unilateral offer by SAL to enter into any contractual obligations. A booking or order by you represents an offer to SAL to purchase services from us. In the event that SAL take payment from you and issue an order confirmation but are subsequently unable to fulfill the order, SAL will be entitled to automatically cancel the order. Ordinarily you will be contacted and an equivalent product and fitting date will be offered. If the delivery date was time essential and another reasonable delivery time can not be agreed, in accordance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you are entitled to terminate the purchase. In such instances any liability will be limited to refunding the customer for all payments received. SAL will not be liable for any economic losses arising from any delay or complications encountered fulfilling any order confirmations issued by it.
- SAL shall be entitled to payment in full for the price of the goods and services on the date of the customer’s order. SAL shall debit the customer’s credit/debit card with payment in full for the goods and applicable Value Added Tax on or after the date of the customer’s order. If the customer fails to make any payment by the relevant due date or if payment is declined or not authorised by the issuer of the customer’s credit/debit card when processed then, without prejudice to any other right or remedy available, SAL shall be entitled to cancel the contract with the customer.
- The order confirmation sets out the basis upon which SAL agrees to accept an order. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure that the order confirmation corresponds with the customers own expectations. Any discrepancy should be reported immediately to SAL.
- Our website contains a large number of goods and services and it is always possible that, despite our best efforts, some of the goods or services listed on this website are incorrectly priced. We verify the prices included in your order to us as part of our processing procedures so that, where goods or services are incorrectly priced we may, at our discretion, either contact you for your instructions in relation to your order or reject your order and notify you of such rejection.
- Whilst every effort is made by SAL to ensure no such error or omission occurs, any typographical, clerical or other error or omission in any sales literature, price list, website text, acceptance of offer, invoice or other document or information issued by SAL shall be subject to correction without any liability on the part of SAL.
- SAL will not be liable for any economic losses arising from any delays or complications encountered fulfilling any order confirmations issued by it.
SELECTION OF THE CORRECT TYRES ONLINE
- Customers ordering tyres online for fitment should verify the tyre size and specification currently fitted to their vehicle before placing their online order with us. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure that any tyres purchased are suitable for your vehicle and intended use. SAL cannot be considered liable for any recommendation made by any third party, or external source of information. SAL also accepts no responsibility and excludes all liability for any losses suffered as a result of our customers ordering the incorrect tyre specification e.g. Runflat / Reinforced / Winter tyre etc. In the event that the incorrect tyres are ordered on this website, SAL will use its normal business processes to source the correct tyres and reschedule the fitting appointment.
- Customers ordering tyres online must have them fitted by SAL. Online tyre purchases can not be taken elsewhere for fitment. The fitting of tyres will be subject to a visual inspection of your vehicle and tyres prior to the work starting. This ensures you have selected the correct tyre specification. SAL accepts no responsibility for and excludes all liability for any losses suffered as a result of any applications on this website that are used by you to select the tyre sizes for your vehicle. We undertake all reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website but due to the range and complexity of tyre sizes fitted to vehicles during manufacture and in the aftermarket, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information and the results of a tyre search using the vehicle registration plate or make and model database search device.
EXCHANGES / REFUNDS
- Subject to your statutory rights (which shall not be affected by this provision), once fitted to your vehicle a tyre, wheel or any other part cannot be exchanged. If you believe that a tyre or wheel we have fitted is faulty, we may offer you the option of purchasing a replacement while the original part is sent to the manufacturer for analysis. The parties agree that, in the unlikely event of any defect arising in the tyres, the adjudication by the manufacturer as to the cause of failure and their decision will be final. If the manufacturer confirms that the product is faulty the cost of your replacement will be refunded.
- Where a valid claim is based on any defect in a good’s quality or condition or failure to meet specification; SAL shall be entitled to replace the goods (or the part in question) free of charge. At SAL’s sole discretion it may refund to the customer the price of the goods (or a proportionate part of the price), but SAL shall have no further liability to the customer or any other person.
TIME-KEEPING / LATE ARRIVAL FOR APPOINTMENTS
- Every endeavour will be made to carry out work by the time desired, but the Company shall not be liable for any delay howsoever occasioned and notwithstanding that a definite date for completion may be specified.
- If you have booked an MOT or Service please visit the SAL Centre you have selected on your chosen day for the work to be carried out. If you have selected a specific time, please be punctual or our ability to offer the service that day may be impacted. For servicing, your vehicle should be with us no later than 10am.
- Where you have paid in advance for any services from SAL and you do not attend the scheduled appointment (or make alternative arrangements/exercise your rights to cancel) SAL shall be entitled to retain one hundred per cent (100%) of the relevant advance payment for an MOT appointment and fifty per cent (50%) of the relevant advance payment for a service appointment.
CANCELLATION / RESCHEDULING OF ONLINE BOOKINGS AND APPOINTMENTS
- Appointments can be rescheduled to an alternative date (subject to availability) provided two clear working days are allowed between rescheduling and the original appointment (e.g. appointments for Thursday can be rescheduled up to midnight on Monday).
- You have the right to cancel any online purchase of services or online booking of services without charge by giving written notice of such cancellation to SAL within seven working days (being all days other than Saturdays, Sundays or public holidays) from the date after the day of the online purchase or booking.
- Estimates are effective only for 14 days after despatch. If instructions are not received from a customer (in response to an estimate rendered) within 14 days from dispatch of the estimate, the Company may change its usual garage rates from the date the vehicle was received until its collection. (Note: – The Company does not as a general rule make any charge for garaging, pending instructions, if the repairs are ultimately carried out by the Company and duly paid for.)
- All estimates by the Company are based on the current cost to the Company of labour, materials and spare parts at the date of estimate. In the event of any variation occurring before or after acceptance the Company may if it thinks fit require the Customer to pay on completion of the work any increase due to such variation.
- If no price is stated or if part only of the work covered by the estimate is carried out the Company shall be entitled to charge a reasonable and proper price for the work done (including any stripping down leading to determination as to the practicability or otherwise of any work and reassembly) and for materials and spare parts supplied.
- If in the opinion of the Company it is impractical for any reason to carry out any of the work it has been instructed to carry out it shall be entitled to refrain from carrying out or completing such work (notwithstanding that an estimate may have been given before) and to carry out only such work as in the opinion of the Company may be practicable.
- Variation of any kind in the estimate, or the scope of the repair, or the prices chargeable, or otherwise howsoever, shall be subject to all these conditions. Any such variation shall not be deemed to constitute or create a new or separate contract, and the original contract shall remain in force, but as so varied. No act of commission or omission by the Company in relation to any vehicle shall constitute a ‘deviation from the contact’, nor shall any such act disentitle the Company to the benefit of any of these conditions.
- In connection with any inspection, or contemplated repair, or other purposes for which a vehicle is accepted by the Company, (testing, taking the vehicle for body repairs or to other specialists, demonstrations, etc.), the Customer is deemed, unless express notice in writing is given to the contrary, to have authorised the driving of the vehicle on the road or elsewhere.
- Customers are strongly advised to remove all items of value not connected with the vehicle when leaving it on company’s premises since the Company cannot accept liability or any loss or damage except in consumer transactions when this is shown to have been caused by a lack of reasonable care on the part of the company.
- Customers have the right to cancel specific repair work at any time. If such cancellation is prior to work commencing then no charge is made. If work has been started then costs will only include the labour for the work carried out up to the time of cancellation. The company will wherever possible minimise the total costs to the customer, however parts ordered, obtained or used that cannot be cancelled, returned or resold together with any handling charges and any other direct costs that have been incurred will be charged to the customer. Consideration will be given to any ‘out of pocket’ expenses incurred. Refer to para 18 for cancellation of on-line bookings and appointments.
- Once work has started on your vehicle you will be informed immediately of any additional work identified. A new itemised, printed quotation will be produced on request and work will only be carried out with your agreement.
- Any advice or recommendation given by SAL or its employees or agents to the Customer or its employees or agents as to the storage, application or use of goods and services which is not confirmed in writing by SAL is followed or acted upon entirely at the Customer’s own risk. Accordingly SAL shall not be liable for any such advice or recommendation which is not so confirmed.
- If customers wish to inspect old / replaced parts they must inform staff at reception when delivering their vehicle. Unless notified to the contrary, all parts removed by the Company in the course of repair shall, if not claimed by the Customer after the completion of the repair, be deemed to be wholly abandoned to the Company and they shall become the Company’s absolute property accordingly.
- With the exception of Warranty and Service Exchange Parts, parts removed will be disposed of by the Company. All disposal and waste parts are disposed of in accordance with the current environmental regulations and legislative requirements. A fee may be charged for this service.
- If, in exceptional circumstances, customers supply parts for fitting by the Company then the Company provides no warranty. Should the part fail then the customer will be charged in full for any remedial work.
COLLECTION AND DELIVERY
- Where a driver who, so far as the Company is aware, has the authority to collect the vehicle, collects the same, the Company shall not be responsible to the Customer for any loss or damage resulting, on the grounds that such driver had in fact no such authority, and this notwithstanding that delivery may have been made without payment of the Company’s account. It shall not be obligatory upon the Company to seek confirmation of the authority of any person reasonably believed to be then, or to have been at some time connected with the Customer.
- If a vehicle is not collected, and the Company’s charge’s are not paid within 24 hours after the delivery of the vehicle to the Company and completion of the work undertaken, the Company may charge its current storage rent at £12 a day in respect of cars & £20 for commercial vehicles from the date of completion of the repairs until collection or disposal.
- Unless other terms of payment have been mutually agreed in advance, all work must be paid for on collection or delivery in cash or by a valid bank card or by Barclaycard, Switch, Visa, etc. or where evidence of acceSALnce is displayed. Where a Credit Account has been opened, future supply of services will be dependant upon settlement of the account strictly in accordance with the credit terms granted : 30 days as standard unless alternative credit terms expressed in writing.
- The risk in the goods shall pass to the purchaser on delivery. Ownership of the goods shall not pass to the purchaser until the purchase price has been paid to the seller and any cheque or other negotiable security has been honoured.
- Any work done or goods supplied in relation to a vehicle, by the order of any driver in the Customer’s employ, or by any person who is reasonably believed to be acting as the Customer’s agent, or by the order of any person to whom the Company is entitled to make delivery of the vehicle, shall be paid for by the Customer.
- Payment for all repairs and/or spare parts supplied is due on completion of work, but the Company may demand a deposit before commencing or in the course of any work. A repair is completed for the purpose of these conditions when notice has been given that the vehicle is ready for collection.
- The Company shall have a general lien (legal right to keep or sell somebody else’s property as security for a debt) on a vehicle and all its contents for all monies owing to the Company by the Customer on any account whatsoever. The Company shall be entitled to charge garage rent during any period in which the vehicle is retained by virtue of the lien. Any notice to the customer posted to his last known address shall be good notice.
- If the Customer’s indebtedness to the Company is not satisfied within three months from the first account rendered to the Customer, the Company may without notice, sell the vehicle and/or the contents thereof by public auction or private treaty. The net proceeds of the sale shall be applied towards satisfying monies due from the Customer to the Company, and any balance shall be paid by the Company to the Customer on demand.
QUALITY, COMPLAINTS, WARRANTY
- You should be delighted with the products and service you receive from us. If you have any query or complaint please speak to the site manager in the first instance. If he or she cannot resolve the matter to your satisfaction please contact our Head Office on the above address. Further to this, where required the Company offer an arbitration and conciliation service through the RMIF.
- 12 month / 12,000 mile guarantee on all work. In the unlikely event of a replaced part failing due to incorrect fitment or the part itself being faulty the Company offer the reassurance of free parts and labour for replacement within 12 months or 12,000 miles commencing from the date of original fitment, whichever is earlier. The Customer is entitled to the benefit of any warranty to which the Company is entitled as against the manufacturer of parts and materials supplied or any sub-contractor. Manufacturers conditions of sale apply to all goods sold and the Company’s guarantees do not detract from your statutory rights.
- Tyres, Exhausts + Batteries. If you believe that a tyre or wheel we have fitted is faulty, we may offer you the option of purchasing a replacement while the original part is sent to the manufacturer for analysis. If the manufacturer confirms that the product is faulty the cost of your replacement will be refunded. All exhaust systems come with a 2 year unlimited mileage guarantee. Catalytic converters are covered by a two year guarantee and may need to be returned to the manufacturers for inspection. Battery guarantees vary by specification of battery. Please check your invoice for details.
- Wheel Alignment and Wheel Balancing. Wheel alignment is affected by road conditions and driving circumstances and therefore adjustment cannot be guaranteed. However, should you have reason to believe that further adjustment is necessary we will check and re-adjust if required free of charge within 30 days of your purchase.
GUARANTEE CLAIM PROCEDURES
- Please ensure you retain your invoice, as proof of purchase is necessary before warranty work can be carried out. Unless faulty, it is not possible to offer refunds or exchanges after purchase for any parts that have been used on a customers car. This does not affect your statutory rights. The guarantees are not transferable and apply only to the person who purchased the original parts. They do not extend to any monetary or compensatory claim, in particular consequential or additional losses.
- Take your vehicle to SAL together with your invoice. The Company will dismantle and repair or replace at its discretion any defective parts and reassemble them subject to these guarantee conditions. Before any work can be carried out under guarantee a full inspection report will be completed.
- If any work is required to be carried out other than by SAL, approval must be obtained from Company Head Office on 0208 655 4444. The Company is not responsible for any part removed from the vehicle or tampered with by any person not employed by the Company. Parts failing as a result of misuse / extreme driving conditions, criminal or malicious damage, fire, theft or where parts have been repaired by another garage or individual or used for competitive motorsports or on a taxi are excluded.
- These guarantees do not cover any defect caused by reasonable wear, tear or corrosion, or any costs incurred through loss of use.
PERSONAL INFORMATION / DATA PROTECTION
- SAL collects personally identifiable information such as name, address, telephone number or e-mail address only when it is voluntarily submitted to us on this website and or by you when booking a service or MOT. We may use the information to process orders, improve our level of service, improve the content of our website, respond to your requests and for our own internal purposes. We may also provide you with helpful information, product news and updates, notify you of new products and services and seek your views on our products and services. Please note that by submitting personal information, you are consenting to such information being processed for the above listed purposes and you agree that SAL may use and store any such information provided by you.
- We undertake to process the personal information which we collect in accordance with the applicable laws on data protection. Depending on the information which you have provided to us, we may contact you by letter, e-mail, fax, telephone or SMS. If you would rather not be contacted by us you may notify us by email, letter or SMS to stop receiving any further marketing communications. Please note that the Internet is not a secure medium. When submitting personal information to us using the Internet, your details may not be secure from access by third parties. The submission of personal information to us using the Internet is therefore made at your own risk.
- For the purpose of completing on-line transactions credit/debit card information is processed and stored in line with PCI & DSS standards – please see the following website for information regarding compliance: https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/index.php
- A cookie is a piece of data that is stored by a website within an internet browser. This data is then sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies act as a reliable device for websites to remember things that an internet browser has done in the past – this includes clicking particular buttons, log in details, or having read pages on that site previously. Typically, a cookie contains information such as the domain from which the cookie has come from, a value which is usually a random unique number as an identifier and the lifetime (expiry) of the cookie.
- The majority of internet browsers will provide an option to disallow cookies. You can usually find out how to do this in the help menu of your browser. Cookies can also be deleted by using your internet browser – however make sure to disallow cookies first, otherwise they will be reapplied the next time you visit the website.
- If any provision of these Conditions is held by any competent authority to be invalid or unenforceable in whole or in part the validity of the other provisions of these Conditions and the remainder of the provision in question shall not be affected.
- The Contract and these Conditions shall constitute the entire agreement between the Customer and SAL in respect of the supply of the Goods and shall supersede all previous oral or written representations or agreements relating thereto. In particular, the Customer may not rely on any statements made by any employee, representative or agent of SAL.
- Save where the context forbids, the expression ‘vehicle’ wherever used in these Conditions includes car, lorry, van, trailer, caravan, invalid carriage and cycle, and as a separate unit or otherwise, engine, axle, gearbox, clutch, generator, starter, battery, and each and every component of a vehicle.
- Courtesy vehicles will not normally be made available except in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of a Company director. With formal authorisation they may be offered on the understanding that customers hold a full UK driving licence with no more than two SP30 endorsements (no other endorsements will be acceptable) and are between the ages of 25 to 70. If insurance is not transferred to the customer’s own policy, the company excess at that time will apply. A Courtesy car loan sheet must be completed and vehicle condition noted before and after return.
- No alteration or qualification of these printed terms and conditions shall be effective unless in writing, signed on behalf of the Company by a Director or a duly authorised officer of the Company. No other person has any authority to alter or qualify in any way the above printed conditions or to enter into any contract for repair for any of the purposes set out in the preamble above on behalf of the Company otherwise than on such conditions.